Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Cheating? No not really

Morning Mind Bender on our local radio station: What number in the English language, when spelled out, has all its letters in alphabetical order?
I was the first caller and won! An extra-value meal at McDonald's! Wow, I thought. I can put this in my husband's lunch or give it to my son! How great is that!
Except I did not do either of those things. I, instead, upon picking up the coupon at the local radio station, went right to McDonald's for a #2 - Quarter Pounder with Cheese meal.
I wasn't going to worry about calories or points. I deserve this! I reasoned. My husband didn't call in and win. My son didn't call in and win. I did all the work. Besides, I work hard all week, go home and work. It's all work, work work! I deserve a break - today - just like the old jingle went.
So, as I sat in my cube, enjoying my meal, my supervisor's supervisor came down the hall. "I smell French Fries!" then she looked in my cube and gave me a look "I smell French Fries?" as in, "Coming from your cube?" I tried to reason with her - they were without fat, calories or points because I won them.
Nope, she wasn't buying what I was selling. I heard laughter from other cubes.
So, as it goes, I do not deserve a break because I knew the answer, because I work, or because I make up rules as I go along.
I do deserve to be healthy and pay attention to everything I eat and adjust the rest of the day accordingly - by not starting over.
So, here I sit, full on a 23 points plus meal. I have 12 left for snack and dinner and I can use my weekly points. Five minutes ago it was worth it - now? Not so much.
But it's in the books.
We do need breaks, all of us. But better alternatives are reading, soaking in a hot bath, walking, even emailing friends, these are all positive ways to have a break.
Oh, and that number that caused all this trouble? The one spelled alphabetically correct?
Forty.
Have a good week! And count what really counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment