Sunday, February 6, 2011

What's Your Pleasure?

My mission?
Write about Guilty Pleasures.
You would think, since I blog about my struggle, and hopefully success, at downsizing my size, I would write a piece on foods. While food does bring me pleasure, and sometimes guilt, it is not my guilty pleasure.
You know that song "Silly Love Songs" by Paul McCartney? I don't like that song.
But I do like silly sappy love songs.
Yes, me, the one who likes the Rolling Stones and Bruce and Santana. Heck I even like a little Guns and Roses and a bit of Eminem!
I love love love silly sappy love songs.
Celine Dion, Air Supply, Whitney Houston, Chicago. Richard Marx. The sappier the better.
I do not like to disclose that info. I like that people don't know I turn up Michael Bolton full blast on my car radio.
Those that know me a little, or don't know me at all, probably are thinking “What's the big deal?” but those who do know me? Do you know what they are thinking? “You have GOT to be kidding me!” because they know what I listen to. They know I like good music.
Sorry fellow love song aficionados. But you need only take Lyric Writing 101, and basically pass with a “C”, to write a good sappy song.
I give you as evidence “Honey” sung by Bobby Goldsboro, written by Bobby Russell. “See the tree, how big it’s grown, but friend it hasn’t been too long, it wasn’t big!” I mean, that line doesn’t even make sense! But, it is a great sappy song. It has all the requirements – sensitive singer, sensitive lyrics, soft musical arrangement, even a tearjerker ending.
Yes, sometimes those silly sappy songs can even bring a tear to my eye.
I can darn near feel the heartbreak, the need, the desire put fourth in three or four verses and a couple choruses.
It does not get any better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment