Tuesday, January 25, 2011

It's Yet Another New Year!

Feb 3 starts the Chinese New Year – the Year of the Rabbit. I am sure my husband will want to celebrate; probably by going to any one of the three buffets that offer a plethora of Chinese cuisine in our little area. I admit it does not take much to get him to one. Like TG Sheppard and his women, when it comes to buffets, my husband loves ‘em, every one.
We often eat out on Saturdays, mostly at the buffets, and I will tell you, I do not order off the menu. Because, contrary to rules of thumb everywhere, I do actually eat less from a buffet. I take just a piece of each offering – one piece of Lemon Chicken, one mushroom from the beef and mushroom, one (OK, two) broccoli from the Chicken and Chinese Vegetables. I do take the sesame green beans but I bypass rice and lo mien and I do grab an egg roll. I stick pretty much to chicken offerings as well as create my own vegetable palate. With all this, I still have less on my plate than someone who does order off the menu. I try not to go back for seconds. Depends on if I am full or not. We do not eat dinner on these days, but I may have fruit later.
But, you know, it’s OK to once in a while, once in a great while, to have seconds. I am learning I cannot deprive myself but am also learning to eat only when I am hungry. My cousin has H.A.L.T. on her fridge. You have to ask yourself, she says, why are you eating? Hungry? Angry? Lonely? Tired? If you are hungry, eat, but if not, find something else to do.
I am finding this is more than a diet. I am finding it is a new way not only to live, but to think. I have to adhere to most rules but I have to be easy on myself when I don’t or when I can’t. (Because I also like the chicken chunks in the sweet and sour chicken!)
It’s something new every day, and I will pass it all along as I go on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment