Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Catch-22

Catch 22
There is a space on Facebook called “About Me”. Mine says only “22”. That number doesn’t symbolize my favorite age, nor is it the number of a favorite athlete.
Simply, it defines my goal. In Weight Watchers we talked about realistic goals. Saying we want to lose weight is fine, but for some of us, what we want to lose is beyond the scope of anything immediate. Or even short term. And can even be so overwhelming that it’s hard to stay focused on losing weight at all. Our leader suggested goals that were easy to obtain in the short term to help us build to the long term goal.
Some are focusing on the 10% and some on 5%. For me the number on the scale moving ever so slowly down is a painful reminder of how far is yet to come. And frankly, on someone my size, 10% is barely visible to the naked eye. It’s disheartening when you mention you’re on Weight Watchers and you’re asked if you’ve lost anything yet…after losing 32 pounds. Sigh. I haven’t yet, but did last time I went. Then I got frustrated and quit. I am not going to quit again.
The 22, therefore, does not represent the next weight loss goal. What it does represent is the next size down in my transitional wardrobe. I have many pieces of clothing in 22 and I am, alas, a 24. A large 24. That is not to say I am a 26. The 24s fit. Just fit. So, my goal, the 22, is the size I am shooting for. Loose clothing is something real I can feel and is concrete evidence that, while my husband or kids might not notice I am losing weight, I will know I am losing weight.
I am also trying to forgo ‘comfortable clothes’ in public. You who are bonus sized know what I am talking about: The sweatpants, pajama pants, ‘workout’ pants and stretch pants and the coordinating sweatshirts, oversized blouses and the poly-cotton shirts that stretch (whether we want them to or not).
These clothing choices really do nothing except scream that I am uncomfortable in my own skin so I am not dressing me up when I go out. And you know what? Why shouldn’t I look nice? I mean, I try to pull it together when I go to work, but why shouldn’t I slap on make-up, do my hair and just feel good with who I am when I am not at work?
So, that is why I am focusing on size 22. I can get there – it is one size, one goal, one step. Chinese Philosopher Lao Tzu said the journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step. Let the countdown of many one steps begin!
Put on your shoes and one step with me down one size. And let’s keep the comfortable clothes out of the public eye!!

No comments:

Post a Comment